[MITgcm-support] Fatal error in PMPI_Comm_rank: Invalid communicator, error stack

Ali Ramadhan alir at mit.edu
Thu Sep 6 09:07:52 EDT 2018

Hi Srinivas,

I think I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I notice you are correctly
using the " linux_amd64_ifort+impi" build option which should compile using
the mpiifort and mpiicc compilers, but then use mpirun from OpenMPI.

What worked for me was using the mpirun provided by the intel compiler
(impi) which you presumably have loaded for compilation. If you "module
unload openmpi" do you still have an mpirun in your PATH? You can run "which
mpirun" to check
 where it is located, hopefully from the Intel compiler.

I should also mention that Intel's mpirun and mpiexec are slightly
different so if mpirun still does not work, maybe try mpiexec.

Let us know if this helps or not!

Cheers,
Ali