[MITgcm-support] Curvilinear grid generation

Yilang Xu yxu at whoi.edu
Mon Apr 15 09:16:59 EDT 2024

Dear MITgcm community,

I am wondering if there is any standard way or package to generate curvilinear grid.
I set  usingCurvilinearGrid=.TRUE., in data, and #define OLD_GRID_IO in CPP_OPTIONS.h.

Currently I have LATC.bin, LONC.bin, LATG.bin, LONG.bin, etc. I also generate some dummy variables such as DXF=DXG=DXV=DXC, DYF=DYG=DYU=DYC, RA=RAZ=RAW=RAS, in order to get the model running at first and then I could correct them later.
The model output shows that there is mismatch in the grid. For example, noise exists around the ice shelf, where freshwater flux should not happen.

I would assume many people used curvilinear grid in the past, and I am wondering if there is any existing method to accurately generate the required grid variables. I appreciate any suggestions on this issue.

Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Yilang