[MITgcm-support] How to make the viscosity and diffusivity change with temperature and pressure in MITgcm

赖燕红 yhlai at pku.edu.cn
Mon Mar 14 08:12:31 EDT 2022

Hi Martin,

I'm Yanhong. Recently I'm trying to simulate the magma ocean, i.e., the ocean made up of molten silicates instead of sea water using MITgcm. And I need to modify the equation of state, viscosity, and diffusivity to simulate the physical properties of molten silicates. Last time I have asked you how to modify the equation of state. And this time I want to ask that how to modify the viscosity and diffusivity scheme, and make them change with temperature and pressure at each time step in MITgcm. Because when I searched the viscosity scheme and diffusivity scheme options in MITgcm, I only found constant, vertically-dependent,initial but unchanged 3D distribution choices for viscosity, and I'm not sure how to realize temperature-pressure-dependent viscosity. Do you know how to realize this scheme? What files in MITgcm do I need to modify (such as models/src/calc_viscosity.F)? Also, what about the diffusivity scheme? Or does this kind of scheme is realizable in MITgcm? I would be very appreciate If you know how to realize this.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best wishes,

Yanhong