[MITgcm-support] How to make the viscosity and diffusivity change with temperature and pressure in MITgcm

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Mar 14 11:14:26 EDT 2022

Hi Yanhong,

the vertical viscosities and diffusivities are routinely computed on a time step basis, if you use on of the vertical mixing schemes. Maybe starting from the simplest one, pp81, will give you an idea, how to do this for your case.

For horizontal viscosities, you could use pkg/mom_common/mom_calc_visc.F as a template of how to compute viscosities dependent on the state. For horizontal diffusivities, this is a little more difficult, I think , because there are no examples for this, also there is no code for 3D horizontal diffusivities, as far as I can see.

Matin