[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] Issue with surface ocean currents

kunal madkaiker kunal.madkaiker02 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 10:04:09 EDT 2022

Hello Dimitris,

I tried adding sponge parameters in my data.obcs. But It seems that the
turbulence has amplified, rather than getting damped.
Attaching my data.obcs and surface currents comparison plot. My model
resolution is ~5km and I have considered a thickness
of 25 grid points (~125km).

# Open-boundaries
 &OBCS_PARM01
# This flag turns off checking and fixing problematic topography across
# open boundaries. We set it here to override the default because
# we want to reproduce old results (including their bugs).

 OBCSfixTopo=.TRUE.,
 useOBCSprescribe=.TRUE.,
 useOBCSsponge=.TRUE.,
#OBCS_monitorFreq= 1200.,

 OB_Jsouth=660*1,
 OB_Iwest=480*1,
 OB_Ieast=480*-1,

 OBSsFile='OBSs_J2D_obcs',
 OBStFile='OBSt_J2D_obcs',
 OBSuFile='OBSu_J2D_obcs',
 OBSvFile='OBSv_J2D_obcs',
 OBWsFile='OBWs_J2D_obcs',
 OBWtFile='OBWt_J2D_obcs',
 OBWuFile='OBWu_J2D_obcs',
 OBWvFile='OBWv_J2D_obcs',
 OBEsFile='OBEs_J2D_obcs',
 OBEtFile='OBEt_J2D_obcs',
 OBEuFile='OBEu_J2D_obcs',
 OBEvFile='OBEv_J2D_obcs',

 useOBCSbalance=.TRUE.,
 OBCS_balanceFacW= 0.,
 OBCS_balanceFacS= 1.,
 OBCS_balanceFacE= 0.,
 &

 &OBCS_PARM03
 Urelaxobcsinner=432000.E0,
 Urelaxobcsbound=43200.E0,
 Vrelaxobcsinner=432000.E0,
 Vrelaxobcsbound=43200.E0,
 spongeThickness=25,
 &
Kindly suggest if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Kunal