[MITgcm-support] Fwd: Setting bathymetry for Internal wave simulation module | Irshad Ul Ala @Victoria University of Wellington

irshad ul ala irshad.irshad.ulala4 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 19:31:59 EST 2022

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: irshad ul ala <irshad.irshad.ulala4 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 9:57 PM
Subject: Setting bathymetry for Internal wave simulation module | Irshad Ul
Ala @Victoria University of Wellington
To: <mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org>

Hi again,

I am resending this email after having confirmed my subscription to the
mailing list. I have made some edits accordingly below to my question.

My name is Irshad and I am a 5th year student in Victoria university of
Wellington. I am currently working on a project that involves simulating
internal waves, and was interested in seeing if the internal waves
verification example in MITgcm could be edited to fit my particular
bathymetry profile.

I have been referencing a section of the MITgcm examples at
https://github.com/MITgcm/MITgcm/tree/master/verification/internal_wave. I
have been successful at running the simulation to output some resultant
MSDIO files (meta./data. pairs) and changing the data file to simulate a
longer time period. Having learned from reading about another example, if I
understand correctly, I am to edit the data file within the input folder
and change variable values for 'nTimeSteps' and 'monitorFreq' to 77760 and
12000. respectively for a 3 year long simulation. Hence, I went ahead and
made those changes prior to printing out the output.

However, I have 3 general issues that I was hoping to get some help with :
I do not know how to recreate the internal wave plot as shown in
*https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/overview/bound_forc_inter_waves.html#
<https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/overview/bound_forc_inter_waves.html#>*
, I am not sure how to properly create an *animation *of the internal wave
interacting with the bathymetry inputted for this example, and finally, I
am not certain of an efficient way I could edit the topography in gendata.m
such that I could use https://download.gebco.net/ to import various
different bathymetries into the internal wave model. I think I understand
that gendata.m creates the file topog.slope which the model uses.

Currently, I am able to import the various MSDIO pairs as variables, and
import them into python using section 3.6.3.2 in
https://mitgcm-example.readthedocs.io/en/latest/getting_started/getting_started.html
.

I apologise if I have made a grave misunderstanding in thinking this
directory would be relevant to my project. If so, I am sorry for wasting
your time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Irshad.