[MITgcm-support] Doubt regarding usage of RBCS package to relax tracers

Remya remyceas at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 07:23:40 EST 2022

Dear all,

              I am running the BLING package coupled with MITgcm. I want to
relax (same data every 5th day) certain biochemical tracers
(nitrate,phosphate,silicate,DO,total biomass) both at the open boundaries
(from k=1:48) and the entire domain surface(k=1). I created an rbcs mask
(rbcsmaskbs.bin) with value 1 at open boundaries (all vertical levels) and
at surface, remaining everywhere it is 0. As I want to relax only 5 tracers
out of total 9, in RBCS_SIZE.h I kept the parameter(maskLEN = 5). My
data.rbcs is as below. Kept period and forcing cycle 1 day as there is only
one time record and it repeats the same data everyday. The number
3,4,5,9,10 corresponds to the order of ptracers in which it is specified in
data.ptracer file. Am I doing it correctly ?

data.rbcs
# RBCS package parameters:
 &RBCS_PARM01
   relaxMaskFile(3)='rbcsmaskbs.bin',
   relaxMaskFile(4)='rbcsmaskbs.bin',
   relaxMaskFile(5)='rbcsmaskbs.bin',
   relaxMaskFile(9)='rbcsmaskbs.bin',
   relaxMaskFile(10)='rbcsmaskbs.bin',
   rbcsForcingPeriod=86400.
   rbcsForcingCycle=86400.
 &

# RBCS for pTracers (read this namelist only when ptracers pkg is compiled)
 &RBCS_PARM02
  useRBCptrnum(3)    = .TRUE.,
  useRBCptrnum(4)    = .TRUE.,
  useRBCptrnum(5)    = .TRUE.,
  useRBCptrnum(9)    = .TRUE.,
  useRBCptrnum(10)   = .TRUE.,
  tauRelaxPTR(3)     = 432000.,
  tauRelaxPTR(4)     = 432000.,
  tauRelaxPTR(5)     = 432000.,
  tauRelaxPTR(9)     = 432000.,
  tauRelaxPTR(10)    = 432000.,
  relaxPtracerFile(3)='o2-jul-NIO-bsmask.bin',
  relaxPtracerFile(4)='no3-jul-NIO-bsmask.bin',
  relaxPtracerFile(5)='po4-jul-NIO-bsmask.bin',
  relaxPtracerFile(9)='sio2-jul-NIO-bsmask.bin',
  relaxPtracerFile(10)='phyto-jul-NIO-bsmask.bin',
 &

Remya.R
IIT Delhi