[MITgcm-support] On the use of PH and PHL reverse calculation of interface heights

万松 wansong at stu.ouc.edu.cn
Sun Oct 17 09:31:44 EDT 2021

Hi,

I'm sorry to bother you with a small matter. I am using a two-layer model to calculate the potential vorticity and need to get the thickness of each layer. Now I try to use PH and PHL to invert the interface fluctuation of the upper and lower layers:
PHL=g*Eta+ (rho - rho_const)*g*(z+Depth)/rho_const
Here, z is the interface. However, the values of PHL and g*Eta are so close that the resulting z is almost equal to Depth. Did I misunderstand PHL?
-Thanks for much,
Song