[MITgcm-support] On the use of PH and PHL reverse calculation of interface heights

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Oct 19 08:25:24 EDT 2021

Hi Song,

I am not sure if I understand this correctly. In your model setup, do you use the nonlinear free surface, r-star coordinates, or anything like that?

If you do you could use the diagnostics UVELMASS and VVELMASS, which already contain the layer thickness; they are basically uVel*hFacW and vVel*hFacS. If you multply by drF, you’ll get the massflux per layer and can use for potential vorticity integrated over the layer, right?

PHL is the geopotential heigh anomaly at the bottom of the domain, not at the interface. PH (phiHyd) is the geopotential height anomaly at the cell centres (not the the interfaces)

Martin