[MITgcm-support] A question about gchem pkg

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Fri Jul 16 10:43:36 EDT 2021

Hi Haoran,

The model stops when PTRACERS_numInUse is reduced to 4 because the setting is not consistent:
pkg/ptracers holds the passive tracer array for pkg/gchem, and if there are more tracers
used in pkg/gchem than defined in pkg/ptracers it will just not fit.
Note that the opposite is fine (having more passive tracers than gchem tracers is OK).

So you might want to clarify why you want to have 4 ptracers (instead of 5 as used in gchem).
If you are currently using pkg/dic with 5 tracers (without iron, i.e., #undef ALLOW_FE) and
want to drop the oxigen (changing #define ALLOW_O2 to #undef ALLOW_O2 in DIC_OPTIONS.h)
then you can make this change in dic/gchem first (might need to adjust some parameter files
"data.*") and leave ptracers unchanged. And when this is working then you can decide
to reduce PTRACERS_numInUse to just 4 (since then you will only be using 4 tracers in gchem).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel