[MITgcm-support] Simulation with varying atmospheric pCO2

Charline Ragon Charline.Ragon at unige.ch
Mon Jul 19 08:09:16 EDT 2021

Dear all,

I'm performing simulations in a coupled atmosphere, ocean and sea-ice
configuration, using the biogeochemical packages GCHEM, DIC and PTRACERS.

I would like to allow a CO2-flux between atmosphere and ocean but I have
troubles as all diagnostics are suddenly moving to zero (NaN are
appearing in standard outputs). I set parameters dic_int1 = 3 and
aim_select_pCO2 = 3, but if I change the value of aim_select_pCO2, this
problem is not appearing (at least, I haven't observed it).

I had a look on, and attached to this e-mail, the evolution of
atmospheric pCO2 in three similar simulations where I only change the
aim_select_pCO2 value to 1, 2 or 3. These runs start from nIter0=0 and
tracers are initialized by files. Note that, in my case aim_pCO2 =
aim_ref_pCO2 = 320 ppm so it seems the absorption in CO2-band is
constant and equals 4 also when aim_select_pCO2 = 1 (so, similar to
aim_select_pCO2 = 0).

As I understand it, when the absorption in CO2-band is prescribed the
simulation no exhibits the problem even if partial pressure of CO2 is
largely increasing in both atmosphere and ocean. So, the zero-appearing
should be related to this coefficient but I'm unable to understand
exactly what the problem is nor to solve it.

I'm wondering if someone know more about this, and maybe have
suggestions for me ?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best,
Charline