[MITgcm-support] A question about gchem pkg

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jul 16 03:40:55 EDT 2021

Hi there,

I don’t know either how to set that, but you could try this in your build directory:

grep -i gchem_Tracer_num *.[h,F]

this will give a list of places, where this variable is defined and used. When I do this, I find that in gchem_tr_register.F, different subroutines specific to specificy biogeochemical packages are call, each of which sets the variable according to what they require. I.e. you probably cannot just reduce PTRACERS_numInUse for a given model.

I am sorry to say this, but sometimes minimal unix skill will help you solve your issues. In the context of the MITgcm the command “grep” is your friend. It has helped me big time in debugging MITgcm issues.

Martin