[MITgcm-support] Crashes with EVP seaice

Pochini, Enrico epochini at inogs.it
Thu Jan 7 09:33:25 EST 2021

Dear community,

I am trying to run a regional model with SHELFICE and SEAICE packages.
However I'm still having problems with crashes while employing the EVP
solver.

The error I get is the general

> ERROR STOP MOM_IMPLICIT_R: error when solving 3-Diag problem.

and I only get it with the EVP; with the LSR solver the model runs fine for
more years but the ice I get seems to be less realistic.

I was able to run the model for just two years with EVP without crashes
with the namelist files attached.

To restart the model I have tried playing with OBCS_SEAICE options, sponge
layer thickness and relaxation times and EVP alpha/beta parameters (from 10
to 600). I tried also disabling OB for seaice. I have 5km resolution, 300
seconds deltaT, vertical levels with min 10m thickness.

Can you point me to some tests to fix this problem?
How can I print debugging information in the STDOUT? In the
SEAICE_OPTIONS.h I set #define SEAICE_DEBUG and have debugLevel>0 in "data"
but it doesn't seem to work with EVP.

Kind regards,

Enrico