[MITgcm-support] OBCS add_tide does not change open boundary velocities

SONG Pengyang Peterspy at outlook.com
Fri Feb 26 04:08:56 EST 2021

Dear MITgcm developers,
I am trying to setup an idealized 2D experiment with obcs package (e.g, Nx*Ny*Nr=500*1*30).
The idea is that I want to give a tidal component through the west bound as OBWAmFile (Am=0.1m/s) and OBWPhFile (Ph=0).
What I changed to codes are:

(1)    “#define ALLOW_OBCS_TIDES” in OBCS_OPTIONS.h

(2)    “tidalComponents = 1” in OBCS_PARAMS.h

(3)    “#define NONLIN_FRSURF” in CPP_OPTIONS.h
Data.obcs:
‘’’
&OBCS_PARM01
OB_Ieast=-1,
OB_Iwest=1,
OBWAmFile='OBWAm.bin',
OBWPhFile='OBWPh.bin',
tidalPeriod=43200.0,
&
‘’’
However, tidal signals are not found in the model result and the west and east two colomns of u are constant zeros.
No errors regarding to the I/O are reported, so I think the files I input are correct.
Is there any other changes I should do to the obcs? I.e., should I add sponge layer at the west bound and Orlansky condition at the east?
Kind regards,
Pengyang

SONG Pengyang(宋朋洋)
PhD candidate in Paleoclimate Dynamics
Department of Climate Sciences
Alfred Wegener Institute,
Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research
Address: Bussestr. 24, 27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
Tel: (+49) 471 4831 1811
Mobile: (+49) 17667211481 (DE)
             (+86) 15762264643 (CN)