[MITgcm-support] Adams-Bashforth term dominates KE budget

Bertrand Delorme bdelorme at stanford.edu
Sun Feb 21 13:14:45 EST 2021

Hi everyone,

I am working on a non-hydrostatic simulation of an internal wave breaking to study the turbulence that is generated. I was able to close the kinetic energy budget of my simulation over a control volume in the location where the wave is breaking. To my surprise, the time-stepping (Adams-Bashforth) term dominates over the other terms (over the wave energy flux and dissipation in particular). I am not sure I understand exactly why this is the case and what to do to make this contribution small compared to the other terms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bertrand