[MITgcm-support] Negative Passive Tracer Concentration

Stanislav Martyanov martyanov.sd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 23:33:04 EST 2021

Hi Bertrand,

If I'm correct, the default advection scheme in MITgcm is 2nd order
centered one. Instead, try using the DST advection scheme with flux limiter
(code 33). It prevents the occurrence of false extrema,  including
artificial negative concentrations due to advection schemes used. At least,
when I faced a similar problem with ptracer and sea ice, it helped.

Regards,
Stanislav Martyanov