[MITgcm-support] Negative Passive Tracer Concentration

Bertrand Delorme bdelorme at stanford.edu
Wed Feb 3 18:49:17 EST 2021

Hi everyone,

I am running an experiment to study mixing driven by internal wave breaking. I have incorporated a passive tracer into the experiment as a Gaussian patch in the area where the wave is breaking to study the evolution of its vertical variance and infer an effective eddy diffusivity from that. I have set arbitrarily the passive tracer concentration to be between 0 (outside of the Gaussian patch) and 1 (in the center of the Gaussian patch).

Very rapidly in the simulation, I get negative values of the passive tracer concentration outside of the Gaussian patch where it is supposed to be zero. Is there a way to avoid that? I am using the default advection scheme right now.

Thank you,

Bertrand