[MITgcm-support] Tides in channel model

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:20:45 EST 2021

Thanks for the reply Stanislav!

In this case, Qiyu is working with a zonally reentrant channel (similar to
https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/reentrant_channel/reentrant_channel.html),
so there is no open boundary at which to apply tidal forcing. So although
it is a small domain, it is more similar to a global model in this respect.

My understanding was that the most common way to force tides in global
models was via a specified surface pressure field in the EXF package. (E.g.
that's how the LLC4320 simulations were forced.) But I also know there has
been a lot of recent work in this area, so maybe there is a simpler option.

Has anyone tried specifying a body force in analytic form using a custom
code file? Where would be the right place in the code to insert such a
forcing?

Best,
Ryan