[MITgcm-support] Tides in channel model

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Fri Dec 3 10:46:58 EST 2021

Hi Ryan,

I have recently tried to add a body forcing to mimic the M2 tide
in a channel model (in 2D x-z plane).  It is quite easy to implement
this by adding some code snippets in 'apply_forcing.F' (see attached).
I found these codes somewhere on the web (but do not remember now).
Its effect can be seen in this animation:
https://github.com/miniufo/InternalWaveBreaking

Notice that it is applied to the first 5 tiles (bi.LT.5).  Hope this helps.

 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn