[MITgcm-support] Tides in channel model

Stanislav Martyanov martyanov.sd at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 04:16:24 EST 2021

Hello Qiyu,

the easiest way is to generate a simple grid with constant dx (and/or dy)
with one or several open boundaries specified in OBCS_OPTIONS.h (#define
ALLOW_OBCS_NORTH, etc). Then, you will need to configure the open boundary
conditions (if you specify induced tide) and external forcing (if you want
to set geopotantial): i.e. #define OBCS_ALLOW_TIDES in OBCS_OPTIONS.h, and
#define EXT_ALLOW_TIDES in EXT_OPTIONS.h

And, of course, you need to set the corresponding filenames with the tidal
forcing in data.obcs (and in data.exf, if you want geopotential). Note that
only the normal component of tidal current at the open boundaries is
currently implemented in the model.

You also should get familiar with the OBCS package where tides can be
specified (as open boundary conditions), and with the EXF package where
tides can be added through geopotental.

Best,
Stanislav