[MITgcm-support] [EXTERNAL] MITgcm Support Request

Dimitris Menemenlis menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Sep 12 15:10:22 EDT 2020

Hi Sara, did you install gfortran and gcc under MS Windows or under Cygwin.  You need the latter.
As far as I know, MITgcm is not supported directly under MS Windows.

Note that Cygwin is not a very efficient way to run MITgcm — I used to use Cygwin ~20 years ago but there are better options now.
I recommend that you install a linux distro on your laptop or workstation, either via dual-boot or in a virtual machine.

If you decide to go with virtual machine, there is some step-by-step example instructions here for MITgcm on VirtualBox:
https://github.com/MITgcm-contrib/ecco_darwin/blob/master/MITgcm_VirtualBox.txt <https://github.com/MITgcm-contrib/ecco_darwin/blob/master/MITgcm_VirtualBox.txt>

Cheers, Dimitris