[MITgcm-support] MITgcm Support Request

Miller, Sara G smiller85 at gatech.edu
Sat Sep 12 14:24:52 EDT 2020

Hello,

I am new to MITgcm and programming with command line, so thank you in advance for your help and patience!

I am trying to run the global ocean circulation tutorial I downloaded from Github. I am using Git Bash and have installed the Git version of MITgcm. I have also installed gfortran (/c/MinGW/bin/gfortran) and gcc (/c/MinGW/bin/gcc).

I receive an error when trying to use genmake2. The following are print-outs of the errors I receive:

$ ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods ../code

GENMAKE :

A program for GENerating MAKEfiles for the MITgcm project.
   For a quick list of options, use "genmake2 -h"
or for more detail see the documentation, section "Building the model"
   (under "Getting Started") at:  https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/

===  Processing options files and arguments  ===
  getting local config information:  none found
Warning: ROOTDIR was not specified ; try using a local copy of MITgcm found at "../../.."
  getting OPTFILE information:
Warning: no OPTFILE specified so we'll look for possible settings

===  Searching for possible settings for OPTFILE  ===
  The platform appears to be:  mingw64_nt-10.0-18363_amd64

Error: No Fortran compilers were found in your path.  Please specify one using:

    1) an "optfile" on (eg. "-optfile=path/to/OPTFILE"),
    2) a command-line option (eg. "-fc NAME"), or
    3) the FC or MITGCM_FC environment variables.

I do not see any options in the build options directory that matches my platform (mingw64_nt-10.0-18363_amd64). I have also installed Cygwin64 to be able to run Linux commands, thinking I could use a Linux build option. However, when I try to specify a Linux optfile, I reveive the following error:

$ ../../../tools/genmake2 -mods ../code -optfile=../../../tools/build_options/linux_amd64_gfortran

GENMAKE :

A program for GENerating MAKEfiles for the MITgcm project.
   For a quick list of options, use "genmake2 -h"
or for more detail see the documentation, section "Building the model"
   (under "Getting Started") at:  https://mitgcm.readthedocs.io/

===  Processing options files and arguments  ===
  getting local config information:  none found
Warning: ROOTDIR was not specified ; try using a local copy of MITgcm found at "../../.."
  getting OPTFILE information:
    using OPTFILE="../../../tools/build_options/linux_amd64_gfortran"
../../../tools/build_options/linux_amd64_gfortran: line 131: nf-config: command not found
  getting AD_OPTFILE information:
    using AD_OPTFILE="../../../tools/adjoint_options/adjoint_default"
  check Fortran Compiler...  fail to compile  (set FC_CHECK=0/5)
  check makedepend (local: 0, system: 1, 1)
ERROR: test: 'make -f Makefile genmake_hello.for' Failed
       see simple makefile: 'Makefile' (left here)
  Please check (1) your 'make' command, (2) your 'ln -s' command
           and (3) the allowed sufix '.F' and '.for' in makefile
  or contact the <MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org> list for help.

Any advice you have for me is very much appreciated!

Best regards,
Sara

Sara G. Miller (she/her/hers)
PhD Student | School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
Georgia Institute of Technology