[MITgcm-support] Frictional heating in the ocean model

Zhu, Fangze fzhu at albany.edu
Mon Oct 26 21:56:55 EDT 2020

Thanks, Martin! I will check how the atmospheric model computes frictional heating and do similar work to diagnose this field for the ocean.

Fangze

On 10/26/20, 5:37 AM, "MITgcm-support on behalf of Martin Losch" <mitgcm-support-bounces at mitgcm.org on behalf of Martin.Losch at awi.de> wrote:

    Hi Fangze,

    I have never used addFrictionHeating, but I have the impression that the field “frictionHeating” is never computed for the oceanic case, i.e. it is always zeros. I cannot find any code to compute frictional heating for the ocean. Feel free to add this missing physics in analogy to atm_phys_tendency_apply* or similar.

    Martin