[MITgcm-support] data.exf and ECCO2

ESTANISLAO GAVILAN PASCUAL-AHU e.gavilan at hhu.edu.cn
Sat Mar 7 22:54:42 EST 2020

Dear Community and developers,
These days, I have been trying to force ECCO2 with a different atmospheric data without success. So far the model does not show me any error, but it never pass the first time step. The model just remains frozen in the sea ice diagnostic. Since the model does not output any error, it is quite difficult to find the issue. So I have started with the thing that I changed which was the data.exf namelist. I found several inconsistencies between the manual and the default configuration of ECCO2.

The manual says that the longitude and latitude of the forcing parameters should be set as xgOrigin+delX/2 and ygOrigin+delY/2 (8.4.7.3.3. Field attributes). However, next section says that all the intput goes in the southwest of the C grid which is xg and yg position (see 8.4.7.5. EXF input fields and units). On the other hand, the default configuration of ECCO2 with JAR25 data set all the input parameters on the west of the grid cell (i.e. xg,yg+dely/2):

&EXF_NML_04
 precip_lon0       = 0.0D0,
 precip_lon_inc    = 1.125D0,
 precip_lat0       = -89.142D0,
 precip_lat_inc    = 1.113D0, ...
 precip_nlon       = 320,
 precip_nlat       = 160,
#
 atemp_lon0        = 0.0D0,
 atemp_lon_inc     = 1.125D0,
 atemp_lat0        = -89.142D0,
 atemp_lat_inc     = 1.113D0,....
 atemp_nlon        = 320,
 atemp_nlat        = 160,

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Kind regards,

Estanislao