[MITgcm-support] to give delX=360*0.25, delY=360*0.25 in curvilinear coordinates in MITgcm

Yi-Chih Huang dscpln at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:37:04 EDT 2018

Hello,

    We conduct idealized simulations to study atmospheric convection near
the north pole.  To avoid the singularity problem in spherical coordinates,
we are interested in curvilinear orthogonal coordinates in MITgcm.  I don't
need blank tile and do not include exch2 in cope/packages.conf.  I use MPI
to expedite running processes.  If I didn't specify delX and delY or gave
the delX and delY below in the data file, I got normal end after execution
the mitgcmuv.  When giving delX=360*0.25, delY=360*0.25, I got the error
message looking for tile002.mitgrid as the following.  How to explain
these?  In the manual it said the grid spacing can not be set via the
namelist; instead, the grid descriptors are read from data files, one for
each descriptor.  The forcing data is Tinit.bin so we don't need extra
external forcing as exf.package.  I wonder what is the right way to give
delX=360*0.25, delY=360*0.25 in curvilinear coordinates in MITgcm?

forrtl: severe (29): file not found, unit 9, file
/project/6001267/MITgcm/MITgcm_c66k/verification/rotating_tank2/run_n_360/tile002.mitgrid

# Gridding parameters
 &PARM04
 usingCurvilinearGrid=.TRUE.,
 deepAtmosphere=.TRUE.,