[MITgcm-support] How to diagnose dissipation term?

杨智斌 853245241 at qq.com
Fri Sep 21 09:08:32 EDT 2018

Hello everyone,

I want to calculate the energy budgets directly diagnosing from model. The dissipation term I want to get inclueded horizontal and vertical viscosity dissipation and bottom drag term. We can find many mom diagnostics in the model (2.14.8). Among these terms, I think 'UBotDrag' (U momentum tendency from Bottom Drag) and 'Um_Diss' (U momentum tendency from Dissipation) may be associated with the two dissipation terms above. If so, do I have to multiply by the density and flow velocity with these two term since their units is m/s2? Thanks.

Sincerely,
Yang Zhibin