[MITgcm-support] Questions Setting Up Bathymetry File

Keerthijan Radhakrishnan kradhakrishnan at edu.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 24 11:31:59 EDT 2018

Hello,

I am working on modelling water flow through a strait using MITgcm. I am new to this and I have some questions setting up the bathymetry file for upload to MITgcm. I would appreciate any help.

To create my bathymetry file, I downloaded the bedrock in a geotiff format from NOAA. The coordinates were in latitude/longitude and I warped it to metres. Then I cropped the geotiff to remove all areas without data and obtained a rectangle. This I converted to a Numpy array on python. My array is of shape: (points in x, points in y) and the elevation at each point is the value in the matrix. I converted the array to a bin using the following code on Python:

dt='>f8'

fid = open("bathymetry.bin, "wb")

bandarray.astype(dt).ravel(order='F').tofile(fid)

fid.close()

My question is, when I provide info in the SIZE.h file, are the following correct:

  1.  sNx*nPx should equal the number of X points on the bathymetry file.
  2.  sNy*nPy should equal the number of Y points on the bathymetry file.
  3.  The resolution should equal the spacing between each point in the X/Y and in metres?
  4.  Then what is Nr? We are not providing a grid for the Z coordinates only values of elevation.
  5.  Also, is my process above correct?

Regards,

Keerthijan