[MITgcm-support] useOBCSbalance not working with RBCS for salinity

Naughten, Kaitlin A. kaight at bas.ac.uk
Thu Jul 26 09:45:57 EDT 2018

Hello,

I recently started using the OBCS transport balancing option (useOBCSbalance) to prevent continued loss of volume from my domain. This worked nicely, and after a few years etaN had dropped in some regions and risen in others, with no obvious total drift.

However, I have just switched on surface salinity restoring using RBCS. (I don't want to restore everywhere so RBCS is more appropriate than the EXF option for restoring surface salinity; I'm still using OBCS for the open lateral boundaries). Now the OBCS transport balancing doesn't seem to work any more. After about 10 years, etaN has dropped everywhere in the domain, by about 2 metres on average.

This is very weird since I'm not using RBCS for velocities, just for salinity - so why should this interfere with the transport balancing?

Many thanks,

Kaitlin