[MITgcm-support] OBCS for ocean, but periodic for sea ice?

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 06:02:04 EST 2018

Hello

I am helping to set up an idealised continental shelf circulation model --
and OBCS is being used for east and west boundaries. For the sea ice model,
though, we would like to impose periodic boundary conditions. Has that ever
been done before? From what I can see, defining OBCS boundaries will then
necessarily apply to both codes.

If this is not doable with the present code, a "hack" i thought of was to
modify lines 88-120 of obcs_apply_seaice.F such that the appropriate values
from the opposite boundary are used instead of OBEh/a/sn, etc, as
appropriate (depending on the velocity direction). This would be very
crude, but might get the job done.. would anyone be able to comment on this
(vague) strategy?

Many thanks
Dan

--