[MITgcm-support] appropriate OBCS conditions for free boundary

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Nov 15 04:03:06 EST 2017

Hi Dan,

how do you want your northern boundary to behave? If you just want waves to radiate (and not reflect) then orlanski bcs might work the best. Adding a sponge layer will also damp any signal and suppress reflection.

In general it’s possible to have different bcs for north, east, west (and southern) boundaries.

Martin