[MITgcm-support] parameters in OBCS sponge layer in ocean modeling

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 10 12:51:04 EST 2017

Hi Yangxin

If the time constant is 0 then the sponge is not a sponge, its like setting the boundary value, and your non-compliant signal will reflect back into the domain from the edge of the sponge

If the time constant is infinite, then the sponge has no effect, and your non-compliant signal will reflect from the boundary.

The best effect is to set the inner to something large and the outer to something smaller and to make the sponge region a good fraction of a mode-1 wavelength.

Cheers,   Jody

Sent from my iPad