[MITgcm-support] parameters in OBCS sponge layer in ocean modeling

Yangxin He y67he at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 10 12:39:42 EST 2017

Hi,

I am not sure if my questions are related with the coding stuff, but I guess I can give it a try. In the OBCS sponge layer, I need to set 4 time scales as the following,

"&OBCS_PARM03
  Urelaxobcsinner=864000.E0,
  Urelaxobcsbound=43200.E0,
  Vrelaxobcsinner=864000.E0,
  Vrelaxobcsbound=43200.E0,"

I have read the "obcs_sponge.F" code, and see how these parameters fit in the sponge forcing. But I am still a bit confused.

Then I looked through MITgcm archives and Matthew suggested these numbers in one correspondence back in 2011. My question is, how and why did he set these values? For example, if I set Urelaxobcsinner=5000.E0, why it is not good? Is there any numerical/theoretical reason behind it?

By the way, I am modeling internal waves in the ocean, if its helpful.

Thanks a lot.

Yangxin