[MITgcm-support] open boundary in ocean modeling

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 7 12:33:20 EST 2017

Hello

The vertical velocity at the bottom boundary is 0, so it isn’t even written out. The W(k=NR) that you are looking at is the vertical velocity at the top of bottom cell. It is a combination of horizontal volume divergence and bottom form stress.

In short, U and V are on RC. But W is on RF. See
http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node48.html <http://mitgcm.org/sealion/online_documents/node48.html>

-Matt