[MITgcm-support] On the vertical mixing parameterization

Andrea Cimatoribus andrea.cimatoribus at epfl.ch
Tue Jan 17 02:52:32 EST 2017

Hi,
from my experience with MITgcm and other models I can confirm your
tests: background diffusivities are very important. In fact, in my
experience, the results are much more sensitive to changes in background
diffusivities than to changes in the turbulence model parameters (or, in
fact, to using different turbulence models).
How much is the right amount of background diffusivity then depends on
many details of your simulations. In general, I would say that higher
resolution simulations need less background diffusivities (I get for
instance very good results with molecular background values at ~200m
resolution), but a final answer can only come from systematic comparison
with observations. As far as I know, there can be no a priori answer.

Ciao,

Andrea Cimatoribus
postdoctoral researcher
EPFL ENAC IIE ECOL