[MITgcm-support] On the vertical mixing parameterization

whale 250107302 at qq.com
Mon Jan 16 16:39:06 EST 2017

Dear friends

I am confused on the treatment of the vertical mixing parameterization in MITgcm.

In my experiment, I have employed the KPP (Nonlocal K-Profile Parameterization for Vertical Mixing). As the manual explained, the KPP could control the vertical mixing by supplying vertical diffusivity and viscosity.

The question is if I still need to set the other parameters of vertical mixing and viscosity in date file, such as diffKrT and diffKrS, when I have already employed the KPP.

In my mind, these two parameters seem likely to be linked to the background vertical mixing, and I do not know if my understanding is right or not. Actually, I have already run two experiments with and without the diffKrT and diffKrS, respectively. The results of my two experiments are different from each other, and confirm that the diffKrT and diffKrS still have a great effect when the KPP is employed.

Thank you for your consideration.

Cheers

Chengyan Liu