[MITgcm-support] On the vertical mixing parameterization

Martin Losch martin.losch at awi.de
Tue Jan 17 04:01:37 EST 2017

Hi Chengyan Liu,

KPP computes the turbulent mixing coefficients for the entire water column from different processes. Generally, in the ocean interior the vertical diffusion/mixing is caused by processes like internal wave breaking. The background diffusion is energetically relevant, because it mixes dense deep water upwards against buoyancy gradients and hence forms an important (albeit poorly constrained and hence somewhat “ad-hoc") energy source for the global overturning. For this the “canonical value” is something between 1e-4 and 1e-5m^2/s. You provide this value via diffKhT/S and then KPP uses it whereever the mixed layer mixing is below this value.

With sufficient numerical diffusion (e.g. due to a diffusive advection scheme), you don’t need any background diffusion to make the model stable, but you will not explicitly include the mixing energy. Having said that, the numerical diffusion is often larger than the canonical 1e-5m^2/s.

Martin