[MITgcm-support] EXF forcing without humidity

Neil Patel nigellius at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:46:39 EST 2017

I’m using the EXF package for the atmospheric forcing on my ocean. However, I don’t have humidity in the atmospheric dataset I want to use to force my ocean. I have evaporation instead as well as long wave down and short wave down radiative fluxes. To prevent evaporation from being calculated, I’ve turned off ALLOW_BULKFORMULAE and turned on EXF_READ_EVAP, while leaving ALLOW_ATM_WIND, ALLOW_ATM_TEMP on. Without specific humidity, the humidity field is not read and diagnostics output shows it as zero. Since I have evaporation will the MITgcm be able to calculate the correct heat fluxes even without humidity?

Thanks,

Neil