[MITgcm-support] Changing mds file suffix

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Mon Feb 27 15:25:54 EST 2017

Hi Jody,

It should not be too difficult to support a different convention for
output file suffix, but probably easier if we keep the 10 digits/character.

One issue with "time in second" suffix is that it does not support time-step
that are not integer number of seconds, and after 320 something years
it exceeds the 10 digit number limit.

And regarding meta files, time is included in the list of arguments of the routine
that write meta files (S/R MDS_WRITE_META in file mdsio_write_meta.F),
and some *.meta files contain time information ( timeInterval = ...),
such as pickup files and output files from pkg/diagnostics.
But most of the I/O routines in pkg/rw and/or in pkg/mdsio don't have
myTime as argument and consequently output meta files that are written from
there don't have any time information.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel