[MITgcm-support] from C- to A-grid (particle tracking)

Blundell J.R. jeff at noc.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 09:20:38 EST 2017

Hi Andrea,
          This isn't a simple answer to your question, but you might
like to have a look at ARIANE:
http://stockage.univ-brest.fr/~grima/Ariane/
(original webpage)
which is heavily used here at NOC, Southampton. It has native support
for some curvilinear C-grid models, such as OPA-NEMO and ROMS,
though not (as far as I can see) MITgcm. Given that it has support for
several models, I would imagine that the logic of adding another might
not be too bad, perhaps easier that interpolating onto a regular A-grid.
We use v2.2.8_05 .
See also
http://salishsea-meopar-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/particles/
which seems to have some of the most up-to-date documentation.
I should explain that I build the software (that part works quite well)
for others to use; I'm not a user myself.
http://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/761/what-are-some-
options-for-online-and-offline-particle-tracking-in-ocean-models
seems to suggest that CMS can handle "various Arakawa-staggered grids",
as presumably it must if it handles HYCOM and ROMS output.

                            Jeff Blundell
|              Research Fellow in Physical Oceanography              |
|                    e-mail:  jeff at noc.soton.ac.uk                   |
|   Jeff Blundell,  Room 256/09  |  OES Physical Oceanography Group, |
|    phone: +44 [0]23 8059 6201  |  National Oceanography Centre,    |
|     fax : +44 [0]23 8059 6204  |  Southampton, European Way,       |
|                                |  SOUTHAMPTON SO14 3ZH, UK.        |
|      WWW: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/oes/about/index.page?       |