[MITgcm-support] from C- to A-grid (particle tracking)

Andrea Cimatoribus andrea.cimatoribus at epfl.ch
Wed Feb 22 08:49:02 EST 2017

Dear all,
I am in the process of setting up some particle tracking experiments.
After some research and some thinking about my needs, I am inclined to
use an offline tool rather than the MITgcm flt package, most likely CMS
(https://www.rsmas.miami.edu/users/cparis/oss.html).

In order to use CMS, I need to interpolate the MITgcm results from my
native curvilinear C-grid to the non curvilinear, non rotated A-grid
which CMS requires. My questions then are:
- is there a way to do this interpolation maintaining the flow (at least
approximately) non divergent? (with complex boundaries)
- does anyone have any suggestion on working with MITgcm+CMS, or more in
general with MITgcm+particle tracking?

The alternative is to implement C-grids in CMS, which would be
interesting but I'm not yet sure it's realistic.

Thanks, Andrea

--
Andrea Cimatoribus
postdoctoral researcher

PS: To answer the obvious question one may have: I think that the flt
package is not the right tool for me, since I would like to have several
particles (>>1000), doing repeated experiments over the same period of
time, in a rather small domain. I think that an offline tool is in this
case not only much faster, but also much more flexible.