[MITgcm-support] from C- to A-grid (particle tracking)

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 09:34:14 EST 2017

Andrea,

Moving from an A grid to a C grid does require interpolation. If you are
doing Lagrangian particles, the induced divergence might not be a problem,
since a slightly non-divergent velocity field won't cause any serious
problems. So a naive multilinear interpolation may be fine.

If you need to advect tracers offline, you need a velocity field that is
exactly non divergent and satisfies the boundary condition at the side
walls. This can be obtained by decomposing the velocity into streamfunction
and velocity potential components, which requires solving an elliptic
Poisson PDE. The MITgcm can be hacked to solve this for you.

We have done exactly what you describe in the following papers, where we
use AVISO geostrophic velocities (on an A-grid) to advect tracers and
particles within MITgcm.
http://doi.org/10.1002/jgrc.20066
http://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-13-0159.1
http://doi.org/10.1175/JPO-D-16-0215.1

If you like, I can provide you more details.

Cheers,
Ryan