[MITgcm-support] running ECCO version 4 release 2

gael forget gforget at mit.edu
Wed Oct 19 09:48:37 EDT 2016

Dear All,

this message is intended for those of you who may have already run ECCO version 4 release 2
which is the reference 20 year 1992-2011 solution on the LLC90 grid that I intend to maintain
compatible with the up to date MITgcm code for the foreseeable future.

Before getting into ECCOv4r2 in more details I should mention that other ECCO v4 solutions
that we plan to release in the future will be announced via http://ecco-group.org/ where
everything below is already cross referenced (see the “model” and “products” tabs).

General information about the LLC90 grid, ECCO v4 setup, and solutions is provided in the
Forget et al 2015 GMD paper (references incl. below) and details by which release 2 differs
from the original release 1 solution are reported in the Forget et al 2016 document.

Directions to re-run the 20 year ECCOv4r2 solution are provided in eccov4.pdf @
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/*checkout*/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/verification/eccov4.pdf

The relevant code and input directories needed to re-run the 20 year ECCOv4r2 solution are in
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/gael/verification/ECCO_v4_r2/

I have re-organized things recently to avoid confusion with the LLC90 short regression tests (now
in http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/verification_other/global_oce_llc90/) which
I have set up to run daily on “glacier” in order to ensure continued compatibility (results are
posted @ http://mitgcm.org/public/testing.html;  see post scriptum for a bit more detail).

All of the necessary inputs and reference output for ECCOv4r2 are freely available @
ftp://mit.ecco-group.org/ecco_for_las/version_4/release2/
where the top-level README explains the directory structure and included contents.

The various datasets distributed via the MIT ftp server are also permanently archived @
https://dataverse.harvard.edu/dataverse/ECCOv4r2
https://dataverse.harvard.edu/dataverse/ECCOv4r2inputs
which is not yet really practical as a data server but readily provides DOIs for the
various datasets that you may be required for publications in scientific journals.

Since a number of people have already re-run ECCOv4r2 (and a new user did last week)
I have good hope that you will find it very easy to follow the directions in eccov4.pdf

If you experience any difficulty please address questions or requests for additional
guidance to either mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org or ecco-support at mit.edu

Cheers,
Gael