[MITgcm-support] Questions about the OBCS Package

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Sat Jun 11 11:17:17 EDT 2016

Hi Benjamin

i) The state will simply be prescribed on the open boundary.

ii) sorry, I don’t use it

I’m not sure your setup — you could provide more info. But most likely my advice will be to make a restoring region that is perhaps 10 cells thick and has a bathymetry with no gradient normal to the boundary. (That way you will not be forcing a normal flow that immediately has divergence from topographic gradients.) Prescribe the normal flow and T and S (and SSH if necessary for your setup) that you want. Set tangential flow to 0 and have a restoring on this tangential flow, which will damp the open boundary waveguide.

These things I am suggested are intended to limit unphysical vertical flows.

Open boundaries are no fun,
Matt