[MITgcm-support] Questions about the OBCS Package

Benjamin Ocampo rurik at ualberta.ca
Sun Jun 12 01:39:11 EDT 2016

Hi Matt:

The system I am simulating is a 120x120x80 curvilinear grid system with
heating from below.
Since I want to simulate convection with rotation and no boundary
conditions on the sides,
the OBCS package seems appropriate. The model spans roughly 40^o min. along
the
latitude (a square polar cap region of minimum length R_sphere*40^o).

I could try to simulate the entire sphere but then the efficiency of the
model drops off
significantly due to the fine grid (preferred method) needed to simulate
convection.
The regional model with the Orlanski configuration does indeed work so I
have no
problem with it.

As for i), to further clarify the question:

I) For the default OBCS, what mathematical model is used to simulate open
   boundary condition on the sides? Or how is it being simulated?

The reason why I ask this question is twofold:

 - To understand the mathematics and the algorithm in how the default
   open boundary condition is being simulated at sides.
 - To compare the mathematics of the default to the sponge and Orlanski
    algorithm.

This will help me further understand the mathematics behind regional
modelling in general.

Cheers,
Benjamin