[MITgcm-support] Questions about the OBCS Package

Benjamin Ocampo rurik at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 10 12:45:13 EDT 2016

Hi All:

I have a couple questions about the OBCS package with regards to
regional modelling at the poles:

i)   If I do not use Orlanski, Stevenson or Sponge configuration
     with the OBCS package, what method or algorithm does
     OBCS use to simulate Open Boundary Conditions (OBC)?

ii)  Although I have read [Orlanski, 1976], I am still a little bit
     confused with the paper. As far as my understanding goes,
     the Orlanski OBC solves for the time dependent phase speed
     C of the fluid characteristic variable phi at grid points lying on
     (N-1) where N is the index locating the horizontal boundary
     sets the C at horizontal boundaries so long as C is b/w some
     range. Algorithm wise, what are the advantages and
     disadvantages of using the Orlanski configuration? When is
     the Orlanski configuration appropriate to use.

Cheers,
Benjamin