[MITgcm-support] documentation about OBC Orlanski and Balance Flow

Camille Mazoyer mazoyer at univ-tln.fr
Thu Jan 28 10:52:55 EST 2016

Dear all,
I just start using MITgcm as I will use it during my thesis for creating
a configuration on the rade de Toulon, France.
Currently, I'm trying to understand how open boundary conditions work,
with these two steps:
- orlanski scheme wich seems to be a predictor step, if I understand
well, where we use the pression of the previous step. We calculate
velocities, temperature and salinity we will have to correct during the
next step
- use of balance flow wich seems to be a corrector step of these
variables (Is this right?)
I only find a few explanations in the doc (mainly explaining the CPP
Key). I also have read the paper of Orlanski, 1976.
Would you have more documentations / publications about the method used
in the MITgcm (orlanski and balance flow)? (about the numerical part, or
the method, ...)

Thank you very much for your help,
Camille Mazoyer

Camille Mazoyer
Phd Student
Mediterranean Institute of Oceanography (MIO)
Université de TOULON
Bat X - CS 60584
83041 TOULON cedex 9
France