[MITgcm-support] The growth rate of sea ice

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Nov 2 10:35:43 EST 2015

Hi Jianfen,

the code (seaice_growth.F) and the description of the diagnostic SIareaPT ('SIarea preceeding thermodynamic growth/melt’) suggests to me that SIareaPT are indeed the values of area prior to thermodynamics (PT), so you’ll get the thermondynamic growth rate by (SIarea - SIareaPT)/deltaT provided that SIarea and SIareaPT are stored with the same averaging frequency. (analogous for SIheff)
When they are the same, you don’t have any thermodynamic growth.

Martin