[MITgcm-support] using MITgcm to simulate hydrothermal venting

xuguangyu xupeng_66 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 23 12:22:52 EDT 2015

Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is Guangu Xu, a Ph.D. student in the department of marine and coastal sciences at Rutgers University. I am currently preparing a proposal on a numerical study of the near-ridge dispersal of hydrothermal plumes at the Endeavour Segment on the Juan de Fuca Ridge. I am fairly new to ocean modeling and am writing to ask if MITgcm is the appropriate model for me to use. So here is a little bit more details of my proposed study.
The main goal of my study is to investigate the near-ridge (up to 20 km off axis) dispersal of the neutrally buoyant hydrothermal plume. What MITgcm appeals to me is the non-hydrostatic capability that is needed to simulate the vertical convection caused by hydrothermal venting. Right now the model domain I am trying to use is a 10 by 10 km square with 50 m horizontal resolution. I am planning to add seafloor buoyancy sources in the model to mimic the venting from known hydrothermal vents. I am also curious to know if I can use non-hydrostatic modeling in a smaller grid near the vent sources with higher resolution, which is nested in a larger grid over which hydrostatic modeling is performed. I am thinking this measure, if possible, can potentially save a lot of computational time.
I am interested to know if MITgcm is the appropriate model to use for my research purpose.
I will be very grateful for your help.
Best,
Guangyu