[MITgcm-support] momentum diagnostics

钱钰坤 qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn
Wed Jul 22 22:50:59 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I've setup up a rectangular domain using spherical polar coordinate.  I want to output the momentum diagnostics such as divergence, vorticity, strain and tension, but all these are output as undefined values.

After searching around in the verification cases, I found a case MLAdjust that also output these diagnostics.  I notice that in the data file of MLAdjust, two flags, useStrainTensionVisc=.TRUE. and vectorInvariantMomentum=.TRUE., are used.

I'm curious why one need these two flags to output those diagnostics.  These diagnostics depend on flow itself so that given the flow vector one can compute those diagnostics.  I guess the vectorInvariantMomentum flag needs to be specified because the curvature metric terms are different in different coordinates (spherical or cylindrical).  Besides, does vectorInvariantMomentum flag affect the model results?

------------------
 Best regards

Yu-Kun Qian (钱钰坤)
Center for Monsoon and Environment Research
 Department of Atmospheric Sciences
School of Environmental Science and Engineering
 Sun Yat-sen University
No. 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District
Guangzhou, 510275, P.R. China
Tel; 020-84115227
Email: qianyk at mail3.sysu.edu.cn