[MITgcm-support] using MITgcm to simulate hydrothermal venting

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 13:30:46 EDT 2015

Guangyu,

Yes, MITgcm is definitely appropriate for what you want to do, for all the
reasons you give (flexible configurations, non-hydrostatic capability). The
configuration you described will be computationally expensive but do-able.
The deep convection tutorial would probably be a good place to start:
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node142.html

I don't know about nesting. One-way nesting is possible using the open
boundary package (OBCS). I don't know the status of two-way nesting. I
think people are working on it, but there is no example in the verification
experiments.

Good luck. Sounds like a cool project.

-Ryan